The method of how to make work the wireless in Acer 5315 is already written.
But if you do online upgrade with the additional latest patches, It will not work again.
It is really funny that with the ubuntu 8.10.
However, you have an alternate method to make work the wireless properly which follows below.
1. Download the latest patch of madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz from the internet.
This can be downloaded from this site http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/
It is obvious to use the following alternate command in the $ prompt
$ sudo wget http://snapshots.madwifi-project.org/madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
2. Untar (unzip) the newly downloaded file:
$ tar xvf madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-current.tar.gz
3. Go into the newly created directory:
$ cd madwifi-hal-0.10.5.6-r3879-20081204
4. Then compile the package:
5. The install the package:
$ sudo make install
6. Then load the newly created module:
$ sudo modprobe ath_pci You can use the following alternate method also.
In the terminal type “sudo gedit /etc/modules”(without quotes) and add “ath_pci”(again without quotes)
to the bottom of the list if you don’t have anything in the list just add it to the bottom. Click ‘Save’ and that’s it.
7. Reboot the machine or alternatively use the following command
$ sudo /sbin/init 6
8. Your wifi should work in the specified model laptop. The light specified may not glow. If not please buzz me up.