Wednesday, July 14, 2010
Saturday, February 27, 2010
% sudo apt-get update % sudo apt-get install vlc vlc-plugin-pulse mozilla-plugin-vlc
Friday, January 22, 2010
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com FA3A1271
sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/telepathy/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/telepathy/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install empathy
Friday, January 15, 2010
# cd /tmp
# wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-x.y.z.tar.bz2
2.Extract the compressed file into the specified directory It is usually /usr/src/
# tar -xjvf linux-2.6.25.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src
# cd /usr/src
3.Install gcc package through yum in RHEL5
# yum install gcc
You can use anyone of these commands for compiling the kernel in your desirable style
- # make menuconfig - Text based color menus, radiolists & dialogs. This option also useful on remote server if you wanna compile kernel remotely.
- # make xconfig - X windows (Qt) based configuration tool, works best under KDE desktop
- # make gconfig - X windows (Gtk) based configuration tool, works best under Gnome Dekstop.
# make modules_install
# make install
# cd /boot
# mkinitrd -o initrd.img-2.6.25 2.6.25
7. Modify Grub configuration file - /boot/grub/grub.conf
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1 ro
1. Updated packages
Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Installing VLC Player in RHEL5 is still a perpetual R&D for me. You can find packages once you get into the vlc player website. But that is not fruitful to install VLC into RHEL5, however you can download the packages that is for our personal and professional R&D.
Packages can be downloaded from the following link, however these have some dependencies.
So It is not the full solution to install the VLC Player in RHEL5. The problem persists, even if you go for Linux forums.
VLC developers has to provide a proper solution to fix this up.
Anyway try this following link out for your machine, it would be the good R&D in RHEL5.
If not try the torrent link for downloadin VLC for Redhat Enterprise Linux.
$ sudo apt-get install firestarter
It is having the customizable user interface, you can minimize into tray if you need, you can leave it normal otherwise.
- Suitable for use on desktops, servers and gateways
- Enables Internet connection sharing
- Allows you to define both inbound and outbound access policy
- Wizard for easily configuring your firewall
- Sets up DHCP for a local network
- Real time firewall events view
- View active network connections, including any traffic routed through the firewall
Normally, In professional flavour of Linux ie Redhat Enterprise Linux does not have this type of utility. You can achieve through commands that is used for fixing the firewall priority ie., High, Medium, No firewall.
But In Ubuntu you can fix it easily with simple mouse clicks. You can restrict the network through this utility. Blocking internal network packets as well as blocking external network packets.
You cannot access internet, if you block all packets. This is the good utility to maintain a good network in Ubuntu.
Firewall is the fitering mechanism in one or more network, that is used to handle the incoming and outgoing packets in general.